Hatha & Dru Yoga
Where: Our home for the week is ‘Kefalonian Retreats’, a former Olive farmhouse (three generations), surrounded by 40 acres of Olive groves, palms and vibrant flowers in the tiny village of Platies on the west of the island – just 20 minutes transfer from the island’s capital/airport.
In the twin share self-catering accommodation you’ll find your fridge and kitchen stocked with delicious local produce, so that you can prepare a tasty brunch/breakfast following our morning yoga session at the retreat’s peaceful, outdoor Yoga Shala, including locally sourced fruit, salad and vegetables, cheese, yoghurt, muesli, bread, olives, butter and honey, along with water, milk, selection of teas and coffee. (At booking please specify any dietary restrictions, preferences and allergy/intolerances so that we can cater for you).
Beach life and “thalasso”therapy: After Yoga and brunch you’ll have the opportunity chill out for a few hours, and each day, our chauffeur will take us on daily excursions* to some of the finest locations and beaches on the island to relax in the shade/sun/cafes, swim in the sea, explore local shops and places of interest (see itinerary info at end). There will also be a couple of outdoor evening Meditative Yoga / Yoga Nidra (a restorative guided relaxation/Meditation practice) sessions during the week, to help the body naturally release, process and re-harmonise), at the beach, or at Retreat under the night sky.
We’ll visit some of the island’s most celebrated beaches to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of the crystal clear seawater (thalassotherapy), including cosmopolitan Antisamos (my personal favourite, and one of the film locations for the blockbuster, Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, featuring Nicholas Cage/Penelope Cruz), the beautiful sandy beaches at Lourdas, and the resort of Skala, the stunning picture-perfect village of Assos and the coves of Agia Efimia. Mid week, there’s an optional boat cruise (an additional 40 Euros) from Skala to the bustling resort of Fiskardo, calling at Sami, where alfresco cafes frame a port filled with swish yachts and cruise boats (with an additional option to visit the underground cave-lake of Melissani, and Karavomylos), and swim-stops at the stunning beaches of Mini-Myrtos and Agia Sofia.
We’ll also take an afternoon visit to the island’s Castle and meander around quaint streets of shops and cafes to get a flavour of the island’s cultural history. Towards the end of the week, our driver will take us on an early-morning visit to the peak of Mount Ainos, where I will lead a mindful meditation in the quiet peacefulness of the mountains, breathing in the pure, clear air and anchoring the feeling of tranquility.
The yoga: Each morning session will stretch and warm up/wake up the muscles, and encourage flexibility and strength (inner and outer). I’ll be teaching in my usual style; a combination of transformational, flowing Dru Yoga and traditional, restorative Hatha Yoga (see my About page for more info). All of the Yoga / Meditation sessions will be held outside, either at the retreat’s beautiful Yoga Shala surrounded by olive trees and vibrant flowers, on the lawns overlooking the Ocean, or at a quiet location on the beach, in the mountains and at the time of day when the air we breathe (‘Prana’) is most rich (early morning/evening).
This holiday is suitable for: All levels – from beginner to more experienced yogis looking to slow down and refine their asana or simply to enjoy practicing a different form. We will be a small group, maximum 10 guests, and the holiday is ideal for solo travelers who would like to meet and spend the week with like-minded people, as well as have the opportunity for quiet time alone.
The retreat location and accommodation: Five en-suite comfortable and traditional rooms with twin occupancy, and a good sized balcony (with chairs and table) overlooking the ocean and the island of Zakynthos (Zante). We’ll be the sole occupants on the retreat. A single occupancy may be arranged at a higher cost, please contact me to discuss.
When: Thursday 28 June to Thursday 5 July 2018.
• Seven nights stay at Kefalonia Retreats in Twin-Share self-catering accommodation;
• Six outdoor morning Yoga sessions (of 75 minute duration) held at the retreat’s Yoga Shala surrounded by olive trees and flowers, on the lawns overlooking the ocean, or on a tranquil sandy beach;
• One Welcome/arrival Yoga evening session at the retreat’s Yoga Shala;
• One early morning Mindfulness/Meditation session at the Mountain Peak;
• Two Mindfulness/Meditation/Guided Relaxation sessions, held outdoors at beach location or on Retreat;
• Daily island excursions, as per planned itinerary;
• Self-catering Breakfast; your fridge/kitchen will be stocked with delicious locally-sourced foods;
• Two evening BBQ/dinners on retreat (Welcome / Farewell BBQ);
• Afternoon Tea & Cake at Retreat, following our early-morning Mountain Meditation/mid-morning beach trip;
• Transfers to/from airport, please see the recommended flights/times below;
• Yoga mats are provided, feel free to bring your own;
• Beach towels are provided;
• Free Wifi in rooms/on retreat.
• Air-conditioning in rooms.
What’s not included:
• Flights – guests are responsible for booking their own flights, see suggested flights below;
• Travel insurance – guests are advised to take out travel insurance at the time of booking flights;
• Group dinners/refreshments (on afternoon excursions/evenings) other than s/c food available at retreat;
• Optional island boat trip (approximately 40 euros), and/or any other island excursions which you may request to be arranged at an additional cost.
* As the retreat is situated in a quiet village, myself and the retreat hosts made the decision to organise the Yoga holiday with inclusive daily excursions so that guests get the opportunity to see the island and it’s natural beauty, however all activities are optional, so guests can take a break from the day trip or Yoga at any time! Our driver will collect us from the retreat each day, usually around 1.30pm and will return us in the evening (around 10pm) after dinner at a local café/restaurant (except for the first and final evening of the retreat when we will enjoy a BBQ on retreat). Following an early morning yoga session on Sunday 1 July, a round-the-island boat cruise has been scheduled – but as this is an additional 50 euros – it is completely optional and as an alternative guests can choose to relax at the retreat or at the resort of Skala, where the group will return at 5pm. Other options may also be possible.
Getting there: There are a few airlines flying the route from London to Kefalonia, including EasyJet, Ryanair, Thomas Cook and Thomson. The suggested flights to book are as follows:
Thursday 28 June 2018: Easyjet from Gatwick 0745, arriving kefalonia 1320 and
Thursday 5 July 2018: Easyjet from Kefalonia 1410, arriving Gatwick 1540.
We recommend the following sites for booking:
momondo.co.uk or skyscanner.co.uk
Please advise if you wish/need to fly from a different airport/airline, and we will organise transfer to/from the retreat for you.
Myself, Eleana and her family look forward to welcoming you on the holiday!