Join me on the Greek Island of Kefalonia for a meditative yoga, relaxation and thalasso holiday drawing on the soul-soothing beauty of this Ionian Island in the Mediterranean. Deeply replenish mind, body and soul via the daily Yoga sessions (outdoors at the retreat’s Yoga Shala and pre-sunset Relaxation and Mindfulness sessions at outstanding locations), the beauty of the natural surroundings, the healthy local cuisine and the tranquillity of the retreat, which overlooks the ocean and the neighbouring island of Zakynthos.
Where: Our home for the week is ‘ Kefalonian Retreats’, a former family run Olive farmhouse surrounded by 40 acres of Olive groves, palms and vibrant flowers in the tiny village of Platies on the west of the island – just 20 minutes transfer from the island’s capital/airport. In the twin share self-catering accommodation you’ll find your fridge and kitchen stocked with delicious local produce, everything you will need for a tasty brunch/breakfast following our morning yoga session at the retreat’s peaceful, outdoor Yoga Shala, including locally sourced fruit, salad and vegetables, cheese, yoghurt, muesli, bread, olives, butter and honey, along with water, milk, selection of teas and coffee. (Upon booking please advise on dietary preferences, eg dairy/wheat-free or other intolerances and we will aim to cater for you).
After yoga and breakfast you will have the opportunity to relax, read, doze in a shady hammock, journal in a notebook, draw, paint, or simply breathe and allow yourself to be soothed by nature and the peaceful environment.
Beach life and “thalasso”therapy: In the afternoons, around 2.30pm, our chauffeur will take us on daily excursions** to some the finest beaches on the island, where we can relax in the shade/sun, and swim in the sea before an early evening outdoor beach-side Meditative Yoga and Relaxation session (each outdoor evening yoga session will include a deeply restorative Yoga Nidra, guided relaxation, to help the body naturally release, process and re-harmonise).
We will visit some wild, and untouched beaches as well as some of the more popular beaches including Antisamos (my personal favourite, and the film location for the blockbuster, Captain Corelli’s Mandolin, featuring Nicholas Cage/Penelope Cruz), to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of the crystal clear seawater (thalassotherapy) and guided meditations/yoga nidra before the sun sets. One afternoon we will take a gentle walk on Mount Ainos, leading to a mindful meditation in the tranquillity of the mountain’s peak, taking in the pure, clear air.
The yoga: Each morning session will stretch and warm up/wake up the muscles, and encourage flexibility and strength (inner and outer). All the yoga sessions during the week will be held outside, either at the retreat’s beautiful Yoga Shala surrounded by olive trees and colourful flowers, and for the afternoon sessions, where the emphasis is on being restorative, restful and calm, held outdoors at a quiet location on the beach, or in the mountains and at the time of day when the Prana is most rich (early evening).
This holiday is suitable for: All levels – from complete beginner to more experienced yogis. We will be a small, intimate group, maximum 10 guests, and this will be ideal for solo travellers who would like to meet and spend the week with like-minded people, as well as have the opportunity for quiet time alone.
The retreat location and accommodation: Five en-suite comfortable and traditional rooms with twin occupancy, and a large sized balcony (chairs and table) overlooking the ocean, and Zakynthos (Zante). We will enjoy full use of the retreat, and be the sole occupants on the retreat. Maximum guests: 10. Some single occupancy may be arranged at higher cost, please contact me to discuss.
When: Wednesday 27 June to Tuesday 3 July 2018.
• Six nights stay at Kefalonia Retreats in Twin-Share self-catering accommodation;
• Six outdoor morning Yoga sessions (of 75 minute duration) at the retreat’s Yoga Shala surrounded by olive trees and flowers, plus one morning session at a nearby quiet, wild and secluded beach with a mindful early morning silent walk;
• Five outdoor evening Meditation and Yoga Nidra sessions (of approximately 60 minute duration), including the arrival yoga session (Opening Ceremony) at the retreat’s Yoga Shala, on selected beaches before sunset and dinner, and one session held in the mountains, see below;
• Organisation of four afternoon excursions around the island (to visit some of Kefalonia’s most celebrated beaches, where we will practice our evening sessions of Meditative Yoga and Yoga Nidra, which includes one afternoon visiting the breath-taking Ainos Mountains, where will practice a shorter outdoor Mindfulness and Meditative Yoga session);
• Self-catering Breakfast – your fridge and kitchen will be stocked with delicious locally sourced foods (see above). Upon booking please advise on dietary preferences, eg dairy/wheat-free or other intolerances and we will aim to cater for you;
• Welcome BBQ at the retreat on the first evening (if you arrive later in the evening, we will provide some ‘welcome’ food in your room);
• Transfer to/from airport – please get in touch at your earliest re your preferred airport and flying times – we can help with finding the lowest cost flights for you, and organise your transfers from the airport to the retreat;
• Yoga mats are provided at the retreat, but feel free to bring your own;
• Free Wifi in rooms/on retreat.
• Air-conditioning in rooms.
What’s not included:
• Flights – guests responsible for their flights to the retreat, see suggested flight details below;
• Travel insurance, you are advised to take out your own travel insurance for this trip;
• Group dinners/refreshments (on afternoon excursions/evenings), the retreat is arranging special offers and recommended dining options for our meals in the evenings at our beach locations. You can bring snacks with you from the s/c room for the afternoon or visit a supermarket near/at our afternoon location;
• Optional island boat trip (approximately 50 euros), and/or any other island excursions which can be arranged for you if you wish.
** The yoga and daily excursions to the beaches and mountains are included in the holiday, however all activities are optional. Our driver will collect us from the retreat around 2.30pm each day, and we will return in the evening after dinner at a local café/restaurant. Mid week, following our morning yoga session, there will be a FREE day, and the option to go on a round-the-island boat tour (additional 50 euros). Alternatively, be dropped off in the capital, Argostoli for shopping and Kefalonia café culture (we will recommend some nice places for you to visit).
Getting there: There are a few airlines flying the route from London to Kefalonia, including EasyJet, Ryanair, Thomas Cook and Thomson. Please get in touch at your earliest with your preferred airport and timings and we can help find the cheapest return flights for you. Meanwhile check out the following sites: momondo.co.uk or skyscanner.co.uk. The suggested flights are:
Easyjet from Gatwick 0745, arriving kefalonia 1320 and
Easyjet from Kefalonia 1400, arriving Gatwick 1530.
Please let me know if another airport / time is more suitable and we will also try to organise an airport transfer.
I really look forward to hearing from you to discuss your interest in this holiday!